Week 8 – Data Science, Conclusion
Lecture (March 7th)
- Christensen, The Billion Dollar Eigenvector
- YouTube: The Story of Python, by Its Creator, Guido van Rossum
- Peréz, The IPython notebook: a historical retrospective
- A Memo to the American People from U.S. Chief Data Scientist Dr. DJ Patil
- Wu, Statistics = Data Science? (download)
- Cleveland, Data Science: An Action Plan for Expanding the Technical Areas of the Field of Statistics
- Brin and Page, The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine: the original paper behind Google and PageRank
- Van Rossum, Computer Programming for Everybody
- PSF, Sunsetting Python 2
- YouTube: When Jupyter Becomes Pervasive at a University? Fernando Perez (UC Berkeley)
Homework 8 (due Monday, March 14th at 11:59PM) 📝
Submit your answers as a PDF to Gradescope by the due date for full credit. We encourage you to discuss the readings and questions with others in the course, but all work must be your own. Remember to use Campuswire if you need guidance!
The content of Homework 8 can be found in this Jupyter Notebook. You will submit your work as a PDF to Gradescope; the notebook specifies what to include in your PDF.
CAPEs + Additional Survey
To get your feedback on how the course went, I’d appreciate it if you could fill out both:
Both are optional and anonymous (though you can leave your name on the End of Quarter survey if you’d like). Your feedback is much appreciated!